Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Those Who Inspire Me: Robert Jackson Bennett; Writer.

When I was seventeen or eighteen, though I still longed to sit down and read a book every once in a while, reading had taken a backseat to everything else that had come along at that age. Senior year of high school, usually going straight to work after school, and using the time in between to hang out with my delinquent friends and chase some tail. My crew's usual Friday night plans were to trek the forty-five minutes to Newport On The Levee, the closest thing we had to a mall in Northern Kentucky (with only our legs as transportation).

There was a Barnes & Noble there. Our usual trips inside were dominated by making puns based on books' and authors' names. I found a book I made a pretty decent joke about (too vulgar to share here, and I barely remember it enough to paraphrase it), but upon reading the synopsis on the back, I realized right then that I needed to have this book. Mr. Shivers, by Robert Jackson Bennett.

I bought it on a whim and carried it with me on the walk back home. I didn't think I'd ever get around to reading it, but it was nice knowing it was there if I ever did get around to reading it. A couple days after that trip to B&N, when the internet (and subsequently, Xbox Live, the chief thief of my alone time) went out, I was stuck in the house alone with nothing to do.

Besides read. So I picked up Mr. Shivers, got comfortable on my little pallet of spare blankets on the floor, and began reading.

I finished the book within a span of two days, and long after finishing it, I found myself thinking about it and the possibilities its ending presented. It was one of the few books that has stuck with me, even now, seven years after closing it.

I went back to Barnes & Noble the day after on my dolo, and I hated them at that moment because they didn't have anything else from Robert Jackson Bennett's bibliography. Granted, even back then, it wasn't that large, but I digress. The only other thing RBJ had released up to that point, in novel form, was his novel The Company Man. "Well," I thought to myself, "it probably won't be as good as Mr. Shivers, but I really like this dude, so I'll check it out." That was actually the first time I've ever ordered a book online. I've done it hundreds of times since, in spite of what my checking account suggests.

I loved The Company Man, even more than Mr. Shivers, and it was then that I knew, thanks to this guy Robert Jackson Bennett, I'd rekindled my love of reading, which in turn provoked me to start writing again for the first time in a long time.

I kept my eyes glued to his website like a hawk, and every time he spoke of any new books coming out, I would mark that day down in my calendar (okay, maybe not, but I at least committed it to memory) to ensure that I would be one of the first people to read his work. The Troupe was released in 2012, and to this day, I still name that the best book I've ever read. My all-time favorite. I don't really think it stands a chance of being dethroned. American Elsewhere followed shortly after, and its twists and turns caused me to stay up way past the hour I should have been in bed, regardless of what I had to do the morning after.

City Of Stairs took a new turn, as it was the first world he'd created which didn't really mirror our own. I loved it regardless, and though I haven't picked up the sequel yet, it is high on my list of things to read next.

RBJ has a habit of creating characters who seem as real as the people we speak to each and every single day. He makes you fall in love with them, and when he hurts them and puts them through trials unfair to any human being, we're in pain with them. His stories are intricate, crossing into each and every genre I can think of like a tightrope walker, never committing too long to just one. I've never read a book of his I didn't like, and at this point, I don't think it's possible.

Here are some links to his work and his website, so that you might get hooked to his work the same way I have. And if you do, remember to think of me and thank me with all your heart whenever you can.

http://www.robertjacksonbennett.com/

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/2916869.Robert_Jackson_Bennett?from_search=true

https://twitter.com/robertjbennett?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor



No comments:

Post a Comment