Friday, October 14, 2016

My First Short Story.

When I first started writing my book back in like, late 2012, I knew it would take me a while. But I didn't want to work on anything in between working on that. Though I did jot down some other ideas for some ideas concerning long fiction, I was pretty damn focused on getting that novel completed.

I never wanted to write short stories. I really didn't want to leave my comfort zone. Writing a book, at that time, anyway, was hard enough for me, and I wanted to focus solely on that and not dedicate time to anything else.

Stupid idea.

It wasn't until early 2014 that I had an inkling for a short story. I don't know what brought it on. But I heard a lyric from a Fall Out Boy song (that's right, I listen to them sometimes) and it said something about "making a career out of robbin' banks." And when I first heard it, I asked myself, did they say something about a person named Robin Banks, or are they talking about someone whose career is literally robbing banks?

And then I thought, why not just combine the two, and just for kicks and giggles, make him a werewolf while we're at it?

I wrote the story in one day, and it rounded out at about 4,500 words. At that time, it was my most productive writing day ever. I wrote it for fun in April, and when I decided to start writing a lot more short stories and selling them in July, I sold it on my second try. I'm still pretty proud of that.

There you have it. If you want to read the first short story in the "Robbin' Banks With Robin Banks" saga, it is available on Amazon in the 7th issue of Beyond Imagination Magazine.

See 'ya, pals.

No comments:

Post a Comment