Monday, August 29, 2016

Music And Writing.

I always used to stress about finding the best music to listen to while writing. I know what you're thinking; "Craig, if that's all you're stressing about, your life must be pretty good." Well, it's one of the many things I stress about. You don't know my life.

Ahem. Anyway.

I finally figured out it's not what I listen to that's the important part, but what it is I'm writing at that time. The music has to match the mood of whatever I'm writing. If I'm writing a fight scene, I'm listening to death metal and heavy ass rap music (think Heaven Shall Burn, old school G Unit, Job For A Cowboy, Cassidy).

If I'm writing a sexy scene, which are rare, I know, I need to listen to something slow and methodical (The Weeknd, Frank Ocean, Lana Del Rey).

Sometimes I'll listen to instrumental music, which is good for pretty much every occasion (Nick Cave, Warren Ellis, Disasterpiece.

I've also found that the only two bands I can listen to no matter WHAT I'm writing are Bring Me The Horizon and The Arctic Monkeys, which probably has a lot to do with them being my favorite bands.

Ironically, I found that I write the fastest when I'm not listening to any music at all. But where the hell's the fun in that?


No comments:

Post a Comment